Three Lions on a shirt, Jules Rimet still gleaming (Credit: Dunk, used via CC BY 2.0)
After a week off, the guys come in hot with takes on the recent news and of course, Ben Simmons. Plus, the end of the European Football Championship, the Phillies’ first round draft pick, and a listener-submitted taste test.
• The guys discuss John’s interesting Fourth of July before hitting on some news stories, including the Sixers’ new CEO, Stephen A. Smith’s misguided comments regarding Shohei Ohtani, and the suspension of track star Sha’Carri Richardson
• A “What Are You Drinking?” taste test featuring the Bramble Mule cocktail by Cardinal Spirits (10:29)
• The guys talk Ben Simmons, including recent comments about Sixers fans by teammate Danny Green and writer Jackie MacMullan (16:01)
• Things get a little heated once potential trade options are discussed (25:59); one of the guys is angry about Simmons’ trip to Wimbledon, while the other wants him nowhere near a basketball court for the time being
• Football came home but pulled a Grampa Simpson as England lost the Euro 2020 final on penalties; Joe uses up most of his soccer minutes for the rest of the decade to talk about the tournament at length (44:21); come for John’s slander of “Three Lions,” stay for Joe’s beef with Americans who root against England for no reason!
• Joe wraps up the Euro 2020 talk with his thoughts on what the tournament will be remembered for most, including the return of fans and the miraculous recovery of Danish star Christian Eriksen after his on-field cardiac arrest (58:26)
• Oh, yeah, Copa América happened too; believe it or not, Brazil and Argentina made the final (1:03:10)
• Joe had to breathe at some point, so John finally gets a chance to speak and talks about where the Phillies stand at the All-Star break and first round draft pick Andrew Painter (1:03:47); yes, the contractually-obligated potshot at Matt Klentak is in there
Eagles-49ers Breakdown; Bryce Harper Should Be the NL MVP – The Philly Frenetics Podcast
You can find The Philly Frenetics Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, Spotify, Stitcher, and more; download, subscribe, and leave a five-star review! You can also find us at http://www.anchor.fm/phillyfrenetics.